Bull Street Gourmet on King and HOM

Friday, August 19, 2011

I may have been left without a phone and laptop this weekend, but my tastebuds are still very much in tact. And luckily, they were able to try out two new restaurants in Charleston. 

The first is an oldie with a new location; Bull Street Gourmet. We frequent BSG for work lunches, so we were very excited to check out the new location on Lower King. It was a good hike from our office, but well worth it. BSG had the same menu as the original location, but the grocery selection has become incredible. It reminded me a bit of Caviar and Bananas with fresh produce as well. I can certainly see it becoming a great spot for a meal or grabbing something to go.

And I can't say great enough things about the food. My personal favorite is the Chicken Salad Sandwich (made with almonds, dried cranberries, and cranberry mayo ) but The Mozz is also a fave. 

Take a look at the photos below to see all the goodies and the gorgeous clean interior.







Bull Street Gourmet on Urbanspoon

The second new restaurant I ventured out to was HOM. HOM is a burger/ping pong joint that recently opened on Upper King. It seems Charleston is quickly becoming a mecca for gourmet burgers (Burger Babies, Big Gun Burger, classics: Moe's, ACs, Rue), but I wanted to see what all the buzz was about at HOM.

Firstly, the place is gorgeous. Stumphouse did a great job with the interior. The design is fresh and modern. It had the same exposed interior feel that is trendy in Charleston right now.





Secondly, the food was great. I had the specialty burger with was a blue cheese pimiento, pickles, lettuce, jalapenos, and adobo sauce. It was exactly what I wanted; spicy and juicy. 




However, I didn't love the prices. Burgers range from 7-10 dollars and don't include a side. With a beer and tip my meal was hitting close to the 20$ mark. And unfortunately the burgers aren't big enough to split. I really, really enjoyed my meal and the atmosphere, but I can't afford casual $20 lunches. 


Hōm on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I love that they have ping pong there. But yeah, I would just go for a beer. That is way too much for a burger with no side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Bull Street Gourmet! We used to live next door to the owner and he is just the nicest guy! I agree that the chicken salad and mozz are some of the best items on the menu.

    As for Hom, I doubt I'll be paying $20 for a burger meal anytime soon. But, the ping pong concept is enticing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Bull Street Gourmet yet. Looks like it's a must.

    PS those pics of owling were too funny. Oh and the horseman... WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend is working at the new bull street gourmet, so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs