Adam's Birthday Weekend

Monday, February 13, 2012


This past weekend was spent spoiling Adam as much as he would let me. His birthday was on Sunday, so I think it was appropriate to deem the stretch his birthday weekend.

Friday night we went back to my old stomping grounds on James Island to eat at Wood Heartfire Kitchen. I've heard rave reviews from friends and critics about their open brick oven and I wanted to try it out for myself.

I ordered the Veggie Burger with a side of broccoli salad. Clearly, not really a wood oven meal - but after having HOM earlier in the day, I needed something light. The burger was good, not knock-your-socks-off, but good. It was bean based and the flavors weren't really popping off your palate. However, the burger came with a sweet pepper slaw that was delicious. It was the perfect mix of sweet and spicy to take the burger to the next level.

I was able to test out the brick oven when I sampled Adam's meal. He ordered the Berkshire Pork Shoulder with apple-celery salsa verde. It was delicious. Perfect portion and perfect mix of smokiness.

All in all, it was a great meal. Good atmosphere and very tasty food.

Heart Woodfire Kitchen on Urbanspoon

On Saturday the birthday festivities continued. The big meal I had planned for Adam's actual birthday dinner was at SNOB. (Clearly, we celebrate with food. Love. Love. Love.) 


So we got all fancy and had a nice little night on the town. Every once in a while we really enjoy going to nicer restaurants and pretending like we can taste the notes in our wine and discern flavors in our meats. Ha, really - we just love food. And SNOB lived up to the challenge. 

Adam ordered the BBQ Tuna, Fried Oysters, Green Onions, and Country Ham Butter with a side of greens. I went with one of the specials, Panko Encrusted Keegans Pork (was shaved), roasted brussel sprouts, and a bleu cheese gnocchi sauteed with spinach. I didn't take any pictures because sometimes I feel awkward whipping out a camera at a nice meal, but suffice to say the food was incredible. Adam placed the BBQ Tuna in his top 3 dishes ever. Definitely worth a repeat. It's also worth pointing out that service was top-notch. Our server was great at making sure we had everything we needed without crowding us. 

Slightly North of Broad on Urbanspoon

While I dream about food daily, my favorite part of the weekend was giving Adam his gifts. They are by far the geekiest gifts I have ever given, and I love that. I like helping Adam embrace his geekdom. I know mine is pretty high too, so it's fun.

For his birthday I gave Adam a new set of binoculars for his astronomy habit and a book entitled, The Economics of Software Quality. He loved both. :)

Saturday night we also, thankfully, witnessed another Kentucky win at Vandy. It unfortunately became a close game, but our boys powered through and got another W. Whew, I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

We rounded out the weekend on Sunday by having brunch at Triangle (had a Darius Rucker sighting!) and went to see The Descendants. I have a strong love for George, so I loved the movie before walking in. It was very good, but very heavy.

And now on a completely different note, last night I broiled a grapefruit and it was one of the greatest things I've ever made. Seriously. I found an idea for it on Pinterest and it is very easy. Simply melt 1T of butter, mix with 2T of brown sugar, mix in some cinnamon and top both slices of grapefruit with the glaze. Broil for about 6 minutes and you're left with the most juicy, sweet, delicious grapefruit.


3 comments:

  1. A girl after my own heart who loves to celebrate through food!  I've never been to SNOB but we've seen it and passed by it many times.  Your dish sounded divine and even thought I'm not a huge tuna fan, Adam's sounded pretty darn good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of your Darius sighting! We went to a different restaurant for brunch yesterday and now I'm so mad we didn't go to Triangle!! Your meals for Adam's birthday sound so yummy! I need to check out that restaurant on James Island!
    PS - Weren't you fffffreezing in that dress Saturday night? It was ridiculously cold that night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um that game sataurday night was crazy. So glad we pulled out the win.

    ReplyDelete

 
site design by designer blogs